శ్రీకర నామ సంవత్సర ఉగాది శుభాకాంక్షలు!!!!
Wishing all my readers and dear friends a very happy ugadi!!
Ugadi is a Telugu New year and on this day predictions are made for the New Year. The panchanga shravanam is done traditionally at temples.
Today I made Ugadi Pachadi and Paramannam (Rice pudding) as naivedyam (prasadam).
Ugadi pachadi is prepared of six tastes which consist of:
Source : wiki
- Neem Buds/Flowers for its bitterness, signifying Sadness
- Jaggery and ripe banana pieces for sweetness, signifying Happiness
- Green Chilli/Pepper for its hot taste, signifying Anger
- Salt for saltiness, signifying Fear
- Tamarind Juice for its sourness, signifying Disgust
- Unripened Mango for its tang, signifying Surprise
Raw fresh mango cleaned and chopped – 1 cup
Neem flowers – 1-2 tsp ( used dry flowers)
Jaggery grated – 1 cup
Fresh coconut pieces chopped – ½ cup
Tamarind paste – 3 -4 tsps
Ripe banana mashed – 1 no
Red chilli powder a pinch
Salt a pinch
Putanalu pappu/ roasted channa dal– 4 tsps
- Mix all the above ingrediants well to form a fine mixture
Sweet Paramannam ( Rice pudding with jaggery)
Paramannam is a sweet rice pudding made using rice, jaggery and flavored with cardamom. This is prepared at the time of festivals as naivedyam ( prasadam).
Sona masuri Rice – 1cup
Milk – 2 1/2 cups
Water – 1 cup
Cashews and golden raisins – 1 cup
Ghee – 2 tsps
Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
Sagu – 2 tsps
- In a pan add ghee and fry cashews and raisins to golden brown and keep aside
- Boil milk and water in a cooking bowl along with sagu.
- Add rice in above boiled milk and water and cook it to very tender.
- Melt the jaggery in water and simmer to plain syrup.
- Add jaggery syrup to cooked rice.
- Add fried cashews and raisins to rice mixture.
- Cook on medium heat until whole thing thickens and comes together.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Serve warm or cold.