This is a much awaited recipe that I have been thinking for a very long time and lastly got the time and mood to prepare this.
Baingan Ka Barta is a Punjabi side dish for rotis/naans and rice which is prepared by smoky roasted or char-grilled eggplants deskinned and cooked in onion, tomato, and mix of spices. And this is one of the divines of brinjal recipes for sure we all will be fond of this dish. This is one of the tasty and simple curry which can be made easily during special occasions/parties.
Eggplants medium – 6 no or 1 Big Eggplant
Onion – 1 no Big
Green chillies chopped – 3 no
Tomato – 1 no Big
Garlic pods mashed – 4 no
Garam Masala Powder – 1tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Jeera – ¼ tsp
Lemon juice -1 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Oil – 2 tsps
- Preheat oven to 500 degress.
- Grease the baking pan and birnjals with little oil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Once done, Cool it and peel off the eggplant skin.
- Mash the flesh and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel. Add garlic pods.
- After garlic turns light brown add jeera after they splutter add chopped onions, green chillies and fry them on medium heat until onion turns soft.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt and mix well.
- Add tomatoes and cook until tender.
- Add mashed baigan/eggplant and mix well.
- Cook for around 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Lastly add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rotis or steamed rice.