Bottle Gourd is one vegetable that I find regularly in Produce Junction (Farmer’s Market). I buy them in almost my visit. This vegetable is rich in fiber and can be used to make curries, sweets, juices. Whenever I make anything with Bottle Gourd, I don’t throw away the peel. I make use of this peel to make Pachadi.
When we were kids my grandmom used to make all kinds of chutneys with vegetables as well as with peels. They used to taste great in rice along with ghee.
Sorakayya Tokku Pachadi is a healthy chutney which is prepared by Bottle Gourd peel, peanuts.
Bottle gourd peel (cut them into small pieces)
Green chillies – 5-6 no
Garlic – 2 pods
Tamarind – very small lemon size
Jeera – 1 tsp
Peanuts – ½ cup
Salt As Required
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Urad dal – ½ tsp
Jeera – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 4-5 no
Redchillies – 2 no
- In a vessel on medium heat add 1 tsp of oil and add bottle gourd peel and fry for 5-8 mts still it becomes soft.
- Add green chillies, garlic and sauté for a min and keep it aside.
- Roast Peanuts on medium heat and after cooled peel they skin and keep aside.
- Once cooled grind all the above ingredients along with tamarind, jeera and salt.
- Add water if required to grind it.
- For seasoning heat a tsp of oil in a vessel and add mustard seeds,urad dal and jeera.
- After they splutter add curry leaves, red chillies,hing and stir for 2-3 seconds.
- Add the seasoning to the grounded paste and serve with rice and dosas.
Send this to my own event CC - Roti Pachadi/Chutney