Muntha Masala is a delicious Andhra street food and this is my much loved food from childhood.
The street person or the bandiwala place an earthen vessel on hot coal with a stack of maramaralu/puffed rice and prepare this Masala by taking the puffed rice from below the vessel so that the masala food can be prepared by the roasted puffed rice.
So this name comes for this recipe as pidata (vessel) kinda (under) pappu (masala/food).The bandiwala place all the ingredients and he mixes well in a coconut shell with a stick and serves in a newspaper/banana leaf (potlalu) with palm leaf spoon.
When I was kid and whenever we folks visited our native place Bandar/Kakinada during our school holidays this used to be ours everyday snack we used to buy them from bandiwala and loved to have this snack which was placed (potlalu). Scrummy one!!
This snack is a crispy and simple one which can be prepared in no time.
Puffed Rice- 2 cups
Onion chopped - 1 no
Tomato chopped – ½ piece
Green chillies chopped (optional) -1 no
Lemon/Lime – 1 no
Roasted Peanut – 1 tsp
Roasted Putnalu/Dalia – ½ tsp
Cilantro chopped – 2-3 tsps
Red chilli powder – as Required
Sev (optional) – 2-3 tsps
Salt to taste
- Take puffed rice in a pan and lightly roast them and keep aside.
- In the same vessel add peanuts and dalia and roast them.
- In a big mixing vessel take lightly roasted puffed rice, peanuts, dalia, chopped onions, green chillies, tomatoes and mix well.
- Now add red chilli powder, salt, chopped cilantro, lime juice and mix well thoroughly so that
- the puffed rice absorb well all the tastes and becomes little soft.
- Serve with sev and chopped onions on top.