Pesarattu Upma is one of the renowned and delicious breakfast in Andhra. This is made with green gram dal also known as pesalu ( in Telugu) and green chillies . This is a combination of two dishes Pesarattu + Upma. This goes well with ginger chuteny ( which I will be posting in future).
Green gram dal (pesalu) 2 cups
Raw Rice (optional) 2 spoons
Green chillies 4 nos.
Salt As Required
onion chopped 1 cup
ginger chopped 1 spoon
cumin seeds 1 spoon
- Soak the green gram dal and raw rice over night in water
- Next day drain the water add green chillies, salt and grind it to a smooth batter by adding water to it.
- After removing the batter in a bowl add cumin seeds to it.
- Heat griddle or flat pan (if you want sprinkle water or rub with half cut onion facing the cut side on griddle)
- Pour a small amount of batter in center and spread it with round spoon in round shape.
- Add chopped onion and ginger on it.
- Add 1 tsp of oil/ghee to the edges of pesarattu
- Cook it on lower flame till it turns golden color and add upma on one half of it and fold the other half on it.
- Serve with ginger chutney
Sooji Rava 1 cup
Water 2 ½ cup
Channa Dal 2 spoons
Urad Dal 1 spoon
Mustard Seeds 1/2 spoon
Cumin Seeds 1 spoon
Onions chopped ½ cup
Green chillies chopped 4 nos.
Curry LeavesOil 2 spoons
Salt As Required
- Roast Sooji Rava on low flame for 5 minutes. Don’t Burn it and Keep aside
- Heat the oil in a Cooking vessel and add chana dal fry it for some time
- Add the Urad dal, Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and fry them till there turn golden
- Add chopped onions , green chillies and ginger and fry till soft.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water and salt to it
- After getting bubbles add roasted sooji rava by pouring it slowly to avoid lumps and mix well
- Add little ghee and let it cook for 6-8 mintes
- Serve with Pesarattu