Toor Dal Khichidi is a quick meal and a comfort food. I regularly cook this quick food usually in my busy days.
It is nutritious and very low in masalas, when compared to pulao or biryani. We can prepare khichdi in many ways one common is rice and lentils are cooked together.
We can use either Toor dal, masoor dal or moong dal. I usually make khichidi using toor dal and moong dal. This weekend I prepared using toor dal.
Toor dal – ½ cup
Rice – 1 cup
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Ghee – 2 tsps
Pepper corns – 4-5 no
Cardamom – 1 no
Jeera – 1 tsp
Cinnamon sticks – 2 no small
Onion – 1 small chopped
Green chillies – 3 chopped
Coriander leaves chopped – 3 tsps
Methi leaves chopped – 5 tsps
Fresh Coconut grated – 5 tsps
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp (optional)
Salt As Required
Water – 2 ¼ cups
Lemon juice – 2 tsps
- Soak Rice and Dal together in water for 30mins
- After 30 mins drain the water out of rice and dal mixture and keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan, when oil gets heated
- Add ginger garlic paste, jeera
- When jeera gets crackle add cloves, cardamom, pepper corns, cinnamon sticks and stir well
- Add chopped onions, green chillies and mix well
- After onions get soft add chopped coriander, methi leaves and mix well
- Add fresh grated coconut, garam masala and mix well.
- Add rice, dal mix stir for 2-3 minutes
- Now take the above mixed rice, dal mixture into rice cooker add water, salt.
- Lastly add lemon juice and cook rice well
- Serve with ghee, Curry, pickle, Chutney or papad.
Sending this to Cooking with Whole foods -Toor Dal/ Pigeon Peas hosted by Suma orginally started by Kiran