Vankaya Bajji Kura is one of the traditional recipes which is prepared and served in many of the marriage functions. I love its yummy flavor and its delicious taste.
Like many I am not a big fan of brinjal. But when I had this dish in a function I just loved it. Later I saw this recipe in one of the TV show and I prepared for my lunch box last week.This curry is a great alternative to regular brinjal curry.
Brinjal – 4 no (Cut length wise)
Onion – 1 no
Green chillies – 2 no
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Tomato paste – 1 cup (made from 4 small fresh tomatoes)
Garam Masala – ½ tsp
Besan – 1 cup
Rice Flour – 2 tsps
Baking Powder – a pinch
Lemon juice (optional) – 1 tsp
Chilli powder As Required
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt As Required
Oil for curry – 2 tsps
Oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl take besan, salt, rice powder, baking powder and mix well.
- Add water and mix well into medium consistency like bajji batter and place the all the birnjal pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, when the oil gets heated, take the birnjal pieces coated with thick besan batter.
- Slowly drop the coated birnjal pieces into the hot oil.
- Fry them till golden color and remove them into a plate, cut them into half (breadth wise) and keep aside.
- In a wide cooking pan, take 2 tsps oil and add chopped onions, green chillies and cook till the onions turn soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste, Coriander powder and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add tomato paste (can be pureed in a grinder), turmeric powder and cook till the raw smell goes away.
- Add Red chili powder, salt, garam masala and mix well.
- If you want more gravy add little water.
- Now add the birnjal bajji pieces to the gravy.
- Close the lid and cook for 5 mins, as the pieces are made into half, the gravy goes well into the bajji pieces also.
- Remove the lid and cook for another 2 minutes and garnish with coriander leaves and sprinkle lemon juice.
Sending this to HLI-Brinjal hosted by Priya originally started by Kalyani & 'Only' Curries event by Pari